Wednesday 30 September 2015

Have You Ever Wondered?

I woke up, remembering of a dream I just had.  I went to the Halloween event with Mummy at Resort World Sentosa - must be the advertisements and Facebook feeds.

Suddenly, there were thoughts.  Have you ever wondered?

How often when the kids were sick and we wished that it was us who were sick instead?  When both D and E were down with that damn stomach flu virus last year, which caused the whole family to be sick, I wished I were the one who had an extended stomach flu instead of them catching it.  I rather be the one lying on the bed, curling up with the so painful cramps (which by the way are akin to contraction pains, just maybe 10x better but longer) than let him lie around, without much strength.

Do you still take the roller-coaster rides?
I quote age as the fear for taking roller-coaster rides these days.  Being less daring, having no more guts to take roller-coaster rides anymore though I rode on them when young.  But someone told me: maybe it is the fear of a freak accident.  Especially now that I have commitment and I have kids to look after.

And then there were some I know who were terrified of travelling without the children.  For the same reason as taking the roller-coaster rides?  



Are you one of the 3 above?  

I am "guilty" of all three.  However, as I board the plane each time these days without the boys, I simply hope and pray that all will be fine.

Amidst the juggles with life, the over-scheduling of events for children and adults for some, why not sit back and think if there are enough fond memories created to date that can last the children a lifetime?  That they can grow up, remembering the times spent no matter how long or short the period we have with them.  

You see, sometimes creating fond memories are just like doing advertisements that etch in the mind forever.  Do you remember this advertisement from Mcdonalds with a baby sitting on a swing at home and each time she goes up and sees the Mcdonalds' arch, she smile.  As silly the commercial may be, but it made the impact - it gave people the idea of happiness when one sees that golden arch.

What are the silly activities you have done with your children?  It may seem silly to us now, but it matters the whole world to the kids.  And I tell myself that I want to be there comforting the boys when they hit their first setback.  Memories are not always about the happy times, sometimes there are a little sadness.

Death is a taboo to talk about, especially in the Chinese culture.  But as much as we hated to talk about it, it will happen.  Just a matter of when.

The question will then be, when that happens, do we think we have created enough fond memories with our children so that they will remember us forever?

Time for me to create more memories.

"Death ends a life, not a relationship" - Mitch Albom

Totally random early in the morning, but that is me.  One who thinks of the extreme what-ifs  and worst case scenarios at sometimes, the most inappropriate times.  :)

I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too! 


20 comments:

  1. I have the same thoughts every time I take a flight now, because truth is life is unpredictable, and we can't really predict what will happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right, Klessis. Nothing's predictable so I guess we just need to live life to our fullest each day. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm as guilty as you too.. whenever my kids fall sick, I wish I am the one sick instead and not them. But then again, my "logical" side will ask me, what will happen to them if I fall sick? Who will take care of them?

    When I sit on my husband's motorcycle, I pray that we get home safe and sound after every trip. There was a newspaper article about how a mom and dad passed away in a motorcycle accident, and left 3 kids behind to their grandparents. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mummies always wanna take the pain away from the children but yet on the other hand is often scare nobody will take care of them. I pray that we will all be safe and sound every day.

      Delete
  3. I definitely fear death now more than when I was younger, without young children. It is also something that I think of almost on a daily basis. It is something I would do if I were to die the next day? Is this contributing to the legacy I want to leave for my kids? Is this the last good bye when I walk out the door? I'm morbid like that but it serves as a good reminder to be purposeful and cherish the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. I worry everyday when I walk the door. I fear that I can no longer see the kids. And that is why I think it is very important to spend quality time with them, so that we can build our own memories bank that will be cherished every single day.

      Delete
  4. Many things in life is unpredictable.... even when we are travelling many things may happened but we cross our fingers and hope all will be well. Live everyday to your fullest and we hope to have less regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No leh.. I'm not the above three. I never hoped to be the one getting sick in place of my children. I just make sure I nurse them back to health while I'm healthy! haha If I'm sick, the whole family will crumble! And I just took a rollercoaster in Italy two weeks back and thought it wasn't exhilarating enough. Wished I had time to jump of a plane to go skydiving. And I can take the plane every month with the kids and not worry about if we were to crash. Even if we did, we are in it as a family. No one gets left behind.

    hmmm.... I think as much as I live for my family, I live for myself too. It is my life and I have only one chance at it. So, I make sure I live a life I want and if anything happens, it happens. I want to regrets whatsoever and I want my children to live like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one strong woman, May! I like taking the plane with the whole family too but sometimes, it is not possible. So I can just pray and hope all's fine.

      Delete
  6. Same for the flight one, So it's hard to travel without my girl. Think we can only have local couple date till she is older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someone once told me that air transport is still the safest mode of transport. sometimes, as much as we are afraid, we need to let go alittle and hope all will be fine.

      Delete
  7. I'm hoping I could take some time off from the kids and fly somewhere with my hubby for a few days though. Not sure how that would work out though. That's my dream. :)

    Vivien @ Beautiful Chaos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. plan for it! i'm sure your dream will come true soon. :)

      Delete
  8. Life is unpredictable. We need to live life as if today could be the very last day on earth! make full use and don't waste time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, indeed. we often think of the unresolved stuff we have at the end of the day to really live life as if today is the very last day.

      Delete
  9. Well it is same in Indian culture as well to talk about it. My son always does that whenever we board a plane will all these discussion and we have to stop him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! kids kids kids... the innocence they have. I am just like you and sometimes I wonder if it will be better if we are more "open-minded" and tensions will be reduced if we talk more about it freely?

      Delete
  10. Oh yes I'm like that too.. sometimes I think about death and the worst case scenarios which can make me a little paranoid but it also reminds me to live life to the fullest and cherish all that I have now :)

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. worst case scenarios~~~ sounds so familiar. it may sound kinda negative but i guess like you mentioned, it also makes us cherish what we have.

      Delete