Wednesday 12 August 2015

Prawn and Pork Wantans / Wontons / Dumplings - Whichever You May Know It As

On National Day, we had steamboat for dinner while watching the National Day Parade.


Apart from the usual items, I decided to make wantans.  I could not exactly remember when was the last time I made them - probably long ago as a kid.  And I do not know why I wanted to make them this time.  Haha….

Sometimes, things just happen and it so happened that I found the recipe for wantan / wonton / dumpling in a recipe book that I have.  


The happiest moment is when the boys exclaim that it is like the "Xiao Long Bao" they like from restaurants.  

Prawn and Pork Wantans / Wontons / Dumplings
(adapted from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook by Jaden Hair)

Ingredients:
250g ground pork
4 stalks spring onion, finely minced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp sugar
2 tsp grated ginger
100g prawns, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
Ground pepper to taste
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 packet of wantan wrappers

Cornstarch slurry: 1 tbsp cornstarch in 65ml cool water

Directions:
1. Combine the pork, spring onions, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch and sugar in a bowl and mix well.  Set aside.
2. Squeeze the grated ginger, extracting the juice into a bowl.  Discard the ginger.
3. Add the prawn meat, salt, pepper and sesame oil into the ginger juice and stir gently to mix.
4. When ready to wrap, add the prawn mixture to the bowl of pork mixture.  Mix gently and this forms the filling of the wantan.
5. Place a teaspoon of filling in the middle of a wrapper.  
6. Dab some cornstarch slurry with your finger and apply some along the edges. 
7. Fold over to form a triangle and press to secure.  
8. Dab some of the cornstarch slurry on one tip of the triangle.
9. Bring two corners together and secure.
10. Place on plate and cover loosely with plastic wrap to prevent drying.

That's it,  You may boil it, drain and eat them just as it is, with chilli or you may use it as an ingredient with your favourite noodle soup.  I think I will make my own wantans from now on - I know what goes in, ah huh!  :)


I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too!

6 comments:

  1. Avid fan of wonton here! Just by looking at the pictures had made me crave for wonton tonight! Thanks for sharing your recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so nice and plump with the meat filling. I hate it when some restaurants get stingy with the filling haha

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade wontons!! Esp when they are chock full of flavours and meat! This makes me wanna go make my own wontons too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was little I was known as the Wanton Xiao Mei because my parents run a wanton mee stall since I was born. Been more than 20 years since I made these, perhaps one day I should try make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum says that wantons will freeze well so you can make and freeze them in a batch and then boil them up from frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Shall try out soon!

    ReplyDelete