Sunday 15 January 2017

Goodbye 2016, Hello 2017!

"The days are long, but the years are short" - Gretchen Rubin

How true is this phrase.

It is 2017 now and I am thinking back how 2016 was.  It did not seem like 365 days have passed.  It seems like just yesterday.

2016 has been a challenging year (oh well, which year wasn't).  But as the proverb goes, when the going gets tough, the tough gets going. 

2016 was the year my older boy started the rat's race.  Of school and tests and examinations.  Of formal education.  Primary 1.  Now, this is a milestone.  As much a chill mum and parents we are, the basics have to be learnt.  I do not demand 100 marks for any and everything and yes, I still believe that tuition is only to help those struggling improve and not to get better when one is already good.

D's primary one life is basically school, student care and home.  Home is rest and play.  Apart from his spelling which we test him, he does no extra assessment books or revision at home.  We play Pokemon Go whenever we think (please do not tell me it is a "dangerous" game) is appropriate, we watch television programmes whenever we feel like it.  We go for walks and runs and a round of playground whenever time and weather permits. That's our primary one life and I hope 2017 will not bring much changes.


2016 also saw me exercising more.  Staying healthy for myself and for the family.  My first time up the Bukit Timah Summit after so long (probably since secondary school).  Slacked off in the second half of 2016; hoping to restart the engine soon in 2017.  Maybe after CNY huh?


Our second couple trip since the boys were born.  It was not easy.  We are the main caregivers with no helper, thus the boys are very attached to us.    We plan our trips such that we use mostly weekends (when my parents in-laws) can help, during off-peak school times (aka no spellings, no tests), or when there is no school (only going to student care for the primary go-er son).  Not easy, but not impossible.  For the record, it was a 3 days 2 nights trip which was in fact, less than 48 hours.  :D


So much easier travelling alone (because I have a very hands-on hubby).  I hiked up Mt Batur with a group of friends.  Totally outdoing myself, it was a gruelling climb.  Up at 1am, with only barely 2 hours of sleep, we started our climb at 4am after a ride of 2+ hours.  In almost total darkness, except for the lights from our hand torches, we walked, climbed, at some times, going on fours.  But the sunrise view, totally gorgeous.  Breathtaking in fact.
What did I learn from this climb?  Mind over matter.  I came back, stronger mentally (and sore legs hahaha).

If you have realised, the 2nd half of 2016 was a crazy half.

The boys had chicken pox (why did they get it when they took the MMRV vaccine, right?).  I had that thought too and am wondering how "lucky" we are to be those few whom will still be infected despite taking the jab.  But oh well, it is possible.  So why the jab?  So that the pox will be lesser and thus, lesser risk of scarring and crazy itchiness.



So there I was, thinking what to cook for the 2 "sick" boys, one after another because the Chinese believe that some food are deemed "poisonous" to be taken during chicken pox.  So one of these days, I shall blog about the food I cooked, and the food good (photo above) to be taken during chicken pox.




2016 also marked the year I organise something for special needs.  Till today, I am still excited and happy about it.  Together with a group of friends, we did a #RunToUnlabel campaign.  Details here.  We have finished running 484km for S$4,840 raised.  Will I do something like this again this year?  Why not?!  If you have any suggestions or advice, let me know!

My first 10km run!
My first half marathon!
Some people think I am crazy.  I might be.  I did my first 10km run as well as 21.1km run in 2016 (both sponsored).  Both runs made me feel that once one sets her mind on completion, it is never impossible.  Both runs made me challenge myself, physically and mentally.  I might not have been able to do it if not for constant support from the family and constant encouragement from like-minded friends.  Maybe a full marathon this year?  No.  :D


Why was 2016 challenging?  Partly also because E was hospitalised.  For pneumonia for 4 days.  It was a challenging period as much was going on in December and our first cruise holiday was just 2 weeks away from his hospitalisation.  Luckily, he recovered fast with the care of the nurses from the hospital and the correct and immediate medical attention by the doctor in-charge.  How important is a doctor to a child, how important are parents' instinct too.  That's a story for another day.

As for now, I am glad 2016 is over.  And hoping 2017 bring us better luck, good health and a year full of achievements, big or small.

Good or bad, a year has ended.  Times flies, but memories last forever.  Happy 2017.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment