Monday 30 March 2015

Thankful, We Are

There has been much on blogs, Facebook, news, social media regarding the death of Singapore's founding father Mr. Lee Kuan Yew and his contributions.

I, however, did not know what to write.  Many a time, I shun the topic, trying not to talk too much about it as tears will swell up in my eyes everytime.

When I was a primary school kid, I had to take a bus from Jurong to Clementi every weekday.  Waking up at 5+am, taking the bus at about 6am, the skies were dark and the streets fairly empty.  If not for a safe Singapore, I doubt my parents will let me do this.  I still remember the times when I fell asleep and an uncle waking me up asking if I have reached my destination.  Or the time when I unknowingly leaned on an army guy's shoulder when I dozed off.  If... If Singapore has not been this safe, I believe my life would have ended up differently and I shudder to think of that. 

A year ago when I was on a business trip to the United States, a colleague asked why is it possible that I speak fluent English.  I was very proud (and still am) to say that we learnt English.  English is our first language.  I went on to mention that we learn our own Mother Tongue - Chinese for me.  She was amazed and amused because before she met me, she did not know what language Singaporeans know how to speak.  For this, I thank Mr. Lee for insisting that we be bilingual.  Not just that.  Because of the "regardless of race, language or religion", most of us know bits and pieces of Malay, Tamil and dialects  Where do you find people who can speak a mixture of English, Mandarin, Malay, Tamil, dialects all in a sentence?  That has got to be a Singaporean!

What has happened has happened.  I am overwhelmed by the gestures of the people in Singapore.  Speechless at this time but always proud to be a Singaporean.

With guidance from D's art teacher, he manage to draw and paint this, a painting that comes from the heart of a 6 year old boy. From telling me that he wants to pay his respects to telling me that he wants to draw something for Mr Lee Kuan Yew and give it to him, I'm thankful for the opportunity to nurture an appreciative boy. A fearless lion as I would like to call Mr Lee, always protecting the country, I believe his legacy will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment