Saturday 4 March 2017

Travel Insurance - Why We All Need It

The March school holidays are approaching soon.  And away are most of us.  Not me this March though.

You know how I always buy travel insurance whenever air tickets are booked?  I am to the extent of appalled when I came to know of people who do not buy travel insurance when they travel.  I ask why?

Reasons being, aiya there is not need to la.  Not so suay (aka unfortunate) lah.  Forgot.  No time.  Expensive.

But it is not that.  Yes, air travel is still considered one of the safest modes of transportation, but there are also many unforeseen circumstances.  Things can happen.  Not to curse but truth be told, life is unpredictable these days!  Even the weather is!  Travel insurance does not only cover air travel mishaps but so much more - some of which can cost a bomb!

Why i stand by buying travel insurance.  Simple.  For a piece of mind.  Insurance agencies often have discount on their travel insurance policies, sometimes up to 40% for a single trip plan and depending on the category one chooses, the premiums differ.

Once, B was supposed to be out for a company leisure trip.  We were all down for stomach flu that week and just when we thought D would be spared, he had to be hospitalised for dehydration.  Luckily, B bought travel insurance and was reimbursed for the trip.  

Now, I know of many who do not buy travel insurance when they travel to Malaysia.  I buy travel insurance even when going to Malaysia.  If you travel to Malaysia often, maybe an annual travel insurance will be better.  And there are Family Plans available too when the kids are usually "free".

We were off to Melaka last June.  Upon returning, E was down with influenza (not your common cold or runny nose).  Caught in Malaysia?  Highly possible.  And yes, we had the medical costs covered with our travel insurance.  Evidence that travel insurance claims exist:




Believe it or not, but I choose my travel insurance depending on whether I am travelling individually or with the family.

There are various categories in the travel insurance and for certain category, you get a "home guard" benefit that reinstate or repair against physical loss of damage by fire to the household contents etc when the permanent place of residence was left vacant while away from Singapore.

If I were to travel alone, I ensure that I get one with the highest coverage for "personal accident, medical expenses incurred overseas, emergency medical evacuation & repatriation" because should there be a mishap, the last thing I want is financial burden on the family or children at home.

People often say, you pay for what you want.  A low premium might be a good deal but always see if it covers what you really need.


Of course for each benefit, there are terms and conditions and each differs from every insurance provider.

But, one thing for sure, it is never difficult to buy a travel insurance.  Easily applied online on almost all insurance companies website, you can apply them on your own, without the need of an insurance advisor.  An insurance advisor can help you with it, and also with the claim should anything happen (though we all wish we never have to).

Apart from that, always remember to e-Register with our Ministry of Foreign Affairs when travelling!


Disclaimer: I am not an insurance advisor.  There will be terms and conditions for all travel insurance policies thus please do your due diligence before purchasing one.  All opinions and experiences are solely mine.

I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too!


8 comments:

  1. Oh yes, we always get travel insurance too, because it's a small price to pay, compared to having a hefty bill if you so happen to fall sick or get injured overseas. I must remember to e-register though! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia, you are absolutely right that we should buy travel insurance when we travel. Especially when travelling with kids. Better safe than sorry. I've never registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs though. Might try sometime in future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Travel insurance is a must have when one travels! I got a new luggage when mine was broken years ago when I travelled to Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have annual travel insurance now, so even if we hop over to Malaysia we're still covered! And I like that the insurance covers any medical bills even 7 days after a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree about getting travel insurance especially for travel to faraway places as the weather may not be suitable for us. Didn't know about the e-register though...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always get the travel insurance and you have such a peace of mind with that small amount especially when travelling with young kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never leave Singapore shores w/out travel insurance...especially with young kids in tow. ....and I've used it a few times already. A must buy for the peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Important point you raised! Indeed it's important to get travel insurance. Be safe, feel safe.

    ReplyDelete