Thursday 7 September 2017

For the Love of Ngor Hiang


As I grow older, I tend to reminisce about my younger days, days when my late grandma was still around and cooked much.

My paternal grandma was a good cook, cooking most of our meals while Mum works.  During festivities, she, my mum and aunts will cook up a storm.  Curry chicken, pork stomach soup, ketchup prawns, fried beehoon, ngor hiang, Hokkien popiah and so much more...  Sometimes I wonder if such "traditional" food aren't learnt by our generation, will we or our children ever get to eat them next time...

Just that day, I was missing Ngor Hiang.  I have never made them.  Ate a lot of them though.  So I ringed Mum for help!  


These cannot be compared to those bought outside.  Because homemade are always the best.  Initially thinking it is going to be difficult, but it was not!  In fact, I made a batch and kept some to be air fried another day.


I do not know if you ever have such a problem, but recipes passed down to me are 80% about estimation.  My Mum will say, "agak-agak" a.k.a estimate.  :D


Ngor Hiang

Ingredients:
8 prawns, de-shelled and chopped
500-600g minced pork
6 water chestnuts, peeled and chopped (I liked mine with the crunchy bite so I do not chop them too finely)
1.5 tsp five spice powder
1/4 tsp white pepper powder
1.5 tbsp corn flour
1 piece of dried bean curd sheet, cut into rectangles of desired size
1 egg

Method:


1. Combine everything except dried bean curd sheet and mix.  Leave aside.
2. Wipe the dried bean curd sheets with a damp cloth to remove some of its saltiness.  Do not use a wet cloth or the bean curd sheet may tear.
3. Fill the middle of each bean curd sheet with about 2 tbsp mixture.  For a Ngor Hiang the size as shown.
4. Fold the sides in.  Lift the side nearest to you and roll tightly inwards into a roll.


5.  Steam the rolls for about 15 minutes, or till the meat is cooked.

I love to eat steam Ngor Hiang actually.  Much more than fried ones.  It isn't that difficult to make them, just more work than stir frying and steaming.  



I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too!



No comments:

Post a Comment