Wednesday 9 March 2016

2 is Enough. For Us.

2 is enough. 

You guessed as much as to what this is going to be about?

We attended a niece's full month last week and often at such celebrations, we get these:



Relative:  Why don't 'bo' aka gamble to have another child.  Maybe it's a girl.

Or

Relative:  Have another girl lah!  

B will often reply, "you think it's like going to the market to buy meat ah."

Often, we had to reiterate that we are perfectly fine with 2 boys.  And if we do have another, the child's gender does not really bother us.

We decided that having 2 is enough. 

The boys have each other for companionship and both of us have enough time (not exactly enough seriously) for them and some personal / couple time.




But is it really enough?  Again, this is subjective but this is what I think:

Both of us work.  Many times, a day of 24 hours is never enough.  Work starts at 8.30am and ends 5.30pm (assuming no overtime, no entertainment).  By the time we are home, have dinner and wash up, it's almost 8pm.  At 9.30pm, the children are supposed to be off to sleep.  Remember the chart about how many hours a child should sleep?  I think most Singaporean kids are badly deprived!!!

With the increased publicity about parental involvement and sitting down playing with the children, have you wondered how much time you actually spend with the children?  

Annual leaves are usually 14 days for most and we have 6 days childcare leave because our youngest is still below 7.  How is this ever enough if childcare centres and student care centres have closures of 5.5 days a year allowed.  No, I am not saying that they should not close, I am just stating a fact that we never ever have enough leaves to go around.  Especially for full time working parents without much support.

People always think the baby bonus and the CDA top-ups by the government is a lot.  And is enough to support the upbringing of a child.  But do you also know that sending the children to infant care centres and childcare centres are not cheap too?  

Both D and E were in infant care from when they were a couple of months old.  Each month is at least SGD1,000 after subsidies.  How much can those government bonuses last?  You do the maths.  

And if I were to have a kid because of those bonuses, it will never be enough.  It is a good to have, but no, it is not enticing enough to have more.  

So now, I may have people pointing at me and saying, well, who ask you to send to an infant care that costs that much when there are cheaper options?  

That is because deciding to have children is our choice and responsibility.  And for now, 2 is enough as that is what we think is within our capabilities - to send them to schools that we think are reasonable, to spend time (is there ever enough actually?) with both of them whenever we can and to feel that our lives as a family is not always in a chaotic mess and rush.  



So yes, 2 is enough for now.  Should we decide to have a number 3, do not worry.  We will let you know. 

That aside, I know of some people who stop at 1 or 2 not because they want to, but because circumstances does not allow them to have more.  They could be having problems conceiving or might have just gone through miscarriages.  So, each time before you decide to ask that very question or make that particular statement, stop a minute and maybe, holding the tongue will be better.   :) 

Disclaimer:  I am writing from my own personal point of view and this does not represent any other parent.  I also agree to disagree on any statements that other parents have.  :)

I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too! 

18 comments:

  1. I feel you man.. I get this ALL the time. It's almost a crime to stop at 2 boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! What's the problem with just having 2 boys?!

      Delete
  2. I decided to stop at 2 too. One boy and one girl for me seems just right and I seem to be losing energy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is a 好 already. To me, that's really more than enough....... :)

      Delete
  3. I think 2 is too good! So that parents can properly divide attention and focus on both kids as equally as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we love too. One parent to each child..... Sometimes I really salute those with more becos I cant forsee having to divide my attention among 3 and more.

      Delete
  4. My Mum had 2 girls and we grew up fine too (although secretly she always wanted a son) haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those days right, Angie? But girls can be so much sweeter than boys....

      Delete
  5. Two's good for us too! Even though I have a boy and a girl, I still get pp telling me I should have more! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Prove to say that 2 is not enough, regardless the gender......

      Delete
  6. Whether you have 2 or 1 kid or for that matter no kids. People will keep on pestering you for next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Human nature? Or lost for conversational topics? I wonder.....

      Delete
  7. I want 3. Or 4 if my husband permits. haha He actually said stop at 1. Well, we happen to have 2! And now he's advising everyone he knows to stop at 1. =D So well, as much as I want more than 2, my partner is not willing to go for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you luck in persuading him to have more.... More isn't bad la.... If you have the energy and time, then go for it!

      Delete
  8. I agree with you babes. Some people just can't stop asking ...at all the different stages: before marriage, after marriage, before having a kid, after having 1 kid, after having 2 kids, and so on. My husband and I wanted more and well, looks like God has other plans for us. 1 is good enough for us now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like everyone's facing the same problem..... Seriously, sometimes I ask when marry? When have kids etc too. But I ask people whom I know well enough.....

      Delete
  9. I also dunno why people tend to ask questions like "why not another one?" I mean, to each its own and I am sure each couple has their reasons for how many kids they want/have. I also think it can be a bit sensitive and awkward when someone has to give you a really personal reason, especially when you are not so close to them? Doesn't matter how many kids we do have eventually, I always think it is impt that our kids are healthy and filial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Filial and healthy is more important than anything. Even 1 is enough if he or she has those in him or her.

      Delete