Friday 11 March 2016

Of Ship and Garden ~ Where We Ate in Penang

We went Penang last November and if you remembered, we stayed at Golden Sands Resort, Penang.  Our reviews about that resort here!

Penang is a foodie place.  We know that.  

With 2 children, we decided to skip the zhi char type of seafood this time, skipped some Penang favourites (B and I were saying we will explore that on our own, one day.  One day.) and went to 2 different restaurants for 2 of our nights there.



Located in Batu Ferringhi, walking distance from Golden Sands Resort, we had an early Thanksgiving dinner at The Ship.

Doesn't it look like the real thing?  The boys were amused!


The service staff are dressed as ship crew, in maritime uniforms.  



The Ship can also be found in Kuala Lumpur but I am unsure if it is just with a shop front or like this, the big ship.

The Thanksgiving set dinner seems to be pretty reasonable.  For RM85, it is about SGD30 for a 4 course dinner.  And a hand towel as a gift.


This boy stole my soup and bread.


The escargots which were pretty well done up.  And they bothered with the appropriate cutleries.  Some places cannot be bothered.






Food wise, it was pretty decent.  The boys had spaghetti which they so much prefer over any other seafood fare from a seafood restaurant.  Considering how hot Penang is always, an air-conditioned restaurant is what we look for when we have kids in tow after a long day out - we were at Escape that day which is a post for another day.  

For that price, I thought it was not too expensive.  Of course, by Malaysian standards, it would have been too much.  But for some good protein, comfortable seating areas and something different (the ship as a restaurant), I am good.

The Ship
Address: 69-B Jalan Batu Ferringhi, 11100 Penang
Tel: +604 881 2142
Opening hours: 12pm to 1am


This second place we went to was a recommendation.  I was told that the ambience will be totally different and true enough, I was surprised.

The entrance of Ferringhi Garden Restaurant does not show any of what I am going to show you.  So, one will probably walk pass it and dismiss it as just another restaurant along Batu Ferringhi.


As it was near Christmas, Christmas decorations were everywhere!  I mean, wow!!!  Orangey and dim lights, my photos do not do justice to the decorations.  You got to see it for yourself.


Children are welcome, obviously.  :)


We had their Signature Seafood Platter.


Some photos before the night darkens.  Full of greenery, flowers everywhere.  It looks as if we were transported to some gardens.









Our food for the night.  The seafood platter proved to be more than enough for 3 adults.




Cannot help but LOL at this photo of D "fighting" the lobster.  




Having read mixed reviews about this place, I went with a "no expectations, no disappointment" kind of attitude.  Price wise, it was not cheap.  Food wise, it was acceptable, quality is okay.  Nothing to blow me away, but will not stop me from going back there.  The reason why I will be back - the place itself.  The ambience and the lovely surroundings.


So, if you are near there one day, check out that place.  And take lots of photos!!!!




Ferringhi Garden Restaurant
Address: 34 A, B & C Batu Ferringhi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi
Tel: +604 881 1193
Opening hours: 5.00pm - 12.00am


I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too! 

8 comments:

  1. I know this ship! Seen it all the time but never realised it was a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh.. The Ship was THE place to go back in the 90's. The branch in KL is in a shop with a ship frontage. I still remember going a few time during high school dates.. haha! I heard the food is still as good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Cynthia, The Ship looks like an interesting place to visit! Thanks for sharing! :)

    -Priscilla @punggolbabies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Penang food. Last time I went for 3 days.. came back 2kg heavier hahahaha #eatnonstop

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and cosy places to dine. I like the interior and outdoor landscaping of Ferringhi Garden Restaurant and drooling at the seafood pics from The Ship!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have seen this ship a few times but never tried the restaurant.

    Fortunately, our kids are quite easy when it come to diet, streetfood for us most of the time :)

    cheers, Andy
    (SengkangBabies)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my previous trip to Penang was not well planned. we missed out a lot of things and definitely didnt see this ship too. Love to travel there again soon.

    Phoebe
    BPDGTravels

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to bring the family to Penang! This restaurant looks like a nice place!

    ReplyDelete