Wednesday 16 December 2015

{Review} Fun with Olympus Tough TG-860

The reason for a Tough camera

Olympus has been around a long time.  I remember my parents having a point and shoot film camera that cost S$400+ like 15 years ago before the digital cameras took over the photography world.  Then in 2009, we got ourselves our first Tough.  Probably the first generation, the photos that came out of it were not what we expected though it really was tough.  :D

Now, with the many different kinds of digital cameras around and each new model introduced getting more sophisticated and powerful, Olympus Stylus T-series only got better.  With courtesy of Olympus Singapore, we had the pleasure to try one of their Tough series cameras, the TG-860 which we used for our recent trip to Penang.


The TG-860 is waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and crushproof. 

Waterproof meaning I can bring it into water, up to depths of 15m underwater.  That said, it meant shooting in the rain too!  Dustproof meaning I can bring it to the beach and not worry about the sand getting into the camera.  Shockproof and crushproof - this camera is built to be able to withstand drops from a height of 2.1m and crushes with a weight of 100kg.  So, I have no worries when my sons handle the camera.

The 180° flip-up monitor is something unseen of for cameras with the features mentioned above.  But, with almost everyone taking selfies and wefies, this is really very useful!  It also helps with shooting in narrow spots and at high-angle and low-angle shooting.


You can read all about its features and specifications here but let us look at the unedited photos (except for some cropping) and our views.

Disclaimer : I am posting photos mostly taken using the Auto mode because I am quite a noob with camera functions.  Thus, if you are someone who has better camera knowledge, I am sure the photos will turn out even better.

We went Escape Theme Park in Penang on a morning.  Photos under bright natural light look as good as many compact cameras. 

 
 
 

Not fast enough.  Which actually is a common complain for compact cameras users.  That's why you need a DSLR.

 
D took this photo.  His first try at the camera.  Not bad, right?
 
 
Time to test the flip-up monitor.  A selfie with the children behind.

 
This photo makes me question the camera.  Although I think it is not fast enough at times (like the jump shot in one of the photos above), I took this while we were sliding down the slope using the flip-up monitor and it came out not too bad!  I am not hesitant about using the Tough for this shot because I know it is tough enough to be held up while we goes down the slope.  And that if I were to drop it, it will still be good.  Another good point about TG-860 is that I can shoot it with either hand using either of the face button on the left side of the camera. 

Pardon my expression.  :D
Here comes the crucial part.  I thought the underwater photos look pretty decent!  Maybe I am easily pleased, you will think.  Another good thing about the flip-up monitor (yes, I like the flip-up monitor) is that I can angle it such that my head need not go into the water and yet still take the underwater shots.  Cool for parents / people who do not swim or hates submerging their head into the waters or getting their hair wet.



 
 

On Auto mode under orange light indoors, photos of my subject were just not up to my expectations.  Maybe I should have played with the functions.  Maybe it will help.  Maybe.


This camera is good for outdoor shots.  With an ultra-wide optical 5x zoom lens starting from 21mm, it is one of the widest zoom lenses in compact cameras.  Together with natural bright lights, it is quite impressive considering its many features.


Taken while seated on a moving trishaw. 

 
2 moving trishaws at the same time...

 
One of my best photos.  Lovely, isn't it?


Selling at S$398 now at authorised retailers, it is pretty value for money.  With built-in WiFi as well, it is a decent compact camera (just don't shoot it in low light) which can be used underwater.  All children love water plays and how often we have very little photos of them at one of their happiest times because we are afraid of getting the DSLR, expensive compact cameras and phones wet.  And for that little child who is suddenly into photography, this is the camera that parents need not be worried about them dropping it. 

Disclosure: We had the Olympus TG-860 on loan to us for 3 weeks for the purpose of this review.  No monetary compensation was received.  All photographs and opinions are true to my own.

I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too! 

16 comments:

  1. Underwater pictures are quite cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried to use Olympus before. The price looks attractive! More affordable than the current one that I'm using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is! That was also one of a plus point. But again, do not expect semi DSLR type of photos and it serves just well.

      Delete
  3. Nice to have a camera to go underwater with. Nowadays we rely so much on handphone cameras and those cannot go anywhere near water!

    Vivien ( Beautiful Chaos )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! I will definitely it if you or the children are water people. And it is so much cheaper than a handphone.... :P

      Delete
  4. I love cameras with built-in WIFI, easy for me to upload pics to social media instantly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology these days! Something we can't do without definitely.

      Delete
  5. Wah the Escape Theme Park looks pretty epic!! And the flip-up function is really handy! I love to take underwater shots too but our current camera doesn't have that bleh..

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you should go one day! I am sure Lil Pumpkin will like it. Time to consider an extra camera? A xmas gift, valentine's day gift or no-reason gift.... :D

      Delete
  6. The underwater pictures are very nice!! But the high-motion pictures seem a bit blurry. Do share with us the night-mode! I am still in the look out of THE camera. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night-mode, meaning low lights are quite a disappointment. I think this cam is good for underwater shots and shots under bright, natural light. Orange lights and dim lights... no no.

      Delete
  7. Wow, the TG-860 is so pretty! Yeah, I love using the Olympus Tough because of its shockproof and waterproof features - great for kids to handle them too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! I have no fear allowing the kids to handle them. :D

      Delete
  8. Question. We use GoPro for underwater shots. After lifting the camera off the surface, pictures will be dotted with water droplets on the pictures. Does it happen with this camera? Can try and let me know? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a on loan set and sadly, it's no longer with me to try. Sorry about that. But I think there is no water droplets on the pictures after lifting the camera. Those photos you see in the post are taken randomly, both in and out of the water, and I do not see any water droplets trail....

      Delete